These events are being organized to help raise awareness for the UN International Day of Peace on Friday 21st September, and also to support “One Day One Choir”, an inspiring global initiative that has grown rapidly since its inception in 2014.
- Larger version of the above poster, view here: WPD-21-23-Sept-2018
- Background information regarding the One Day One Choir can be viewed here: ODOC 2018 pdf
- Friday, 21st September Tenebrae at Truro Cathedral at 7.30 pm. More information can be viewed here: WWRT_TruroA5Flyer no bleed and Tenebrae Press Release – Exeter and Truro Cathedrals – 20-21 September 2018
- More information regarding the “Against the Grain” event with Garth Hewitt on Saturday 22nd September at Truro Methodist Church can be viewed here: Garth Hewitt and Against the Grain Tour biography
- For more information on all the above contact Paul Haines: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All choirs and singing groups are being asked to take part and sing for peace on World Peace Day or as close to it as possible. It’s a very simple idea and also very easy to do for anyone, anywhere! It could be a school assembly, a choir rehearsal, a church service, or even a gathering in a pub – just get together and sing for peace! It could be one song, two songs, or whatever you decide! Don’t forget to sign up on the website to indicate your participation and to be included on the world map showing the huge number of singing groups around the world taking part. www.onedayonechoir.org
“One Day One Choir”, along with other initiatives such as “Peace One Day”, encourage people to come together in their communities and to take active steps towards a more peaceful world. “One Day One Choir” recognizes the powerful effect that singing can play in this. Almost every country in the world has taken part, with choirs from a wide range of communities. Here in the UK for instance, schools are very much involved, as were 38 Cathedrals last year.
This is the third year that events have been organized in Truro, with many choirs having been involved so far. This year invitations to choirs in all schools, colleges, churches and communities across Cornwall have been sent out. In Truro there are three days of events being organized on Lemon Quay, Truro Cathedral, Truro Methodist Church, and for the first time at County Hall.
Funds are being raised for “Children of Peace” and “The Amos Trust”. Both are UK based charities working to help and support children around the world. These charities recognize the importance of working with children to bring about a more peaceful world. www.childrenofpeace.org.uk www.amostrust.org
In addition to many choirs taking part, a number of groups and organizations will be represented, with a variety of people speaking about peace. The Truro Methodist Church will be the venue on the 21st for groups that use singing therapeutically for health conditions, and on the 22nd, the Founder of the Amos Trust, Garth Hewitt, will be performing. The world famous choral ensemble Tenebrae, as supporters of One Day One Choir, will be very kindly dedicating their performance at Truro Cathedral to this initiative.
These events are supported by Truro City Council, Cornwall County Council, Truro Cathedral, Truro Methodist Church and many other individuals and groups. Please see poster for further details of venues, dates and times.
For further information and how to get involved and take part, please contact: